Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Coach, May I have your Timeshare?

Coach Stoops, I read today that you are interested in giving away a timeshare. Below are some compelling reasons I believe you should give it to me. If it’s not too much to ask though, things are a little tight in my household right now, and I read where you make over $3 million per year, so if you could continue to pick up the tab on the timeshare dues that would be great.

  1. November 8, 1975. My first OU game. Sooners come in as heavy favorites, lose 23-3 to Kansas. The first loss for the program in 37 games. I’m still scarred.
  2. Spring 1990 – I contact the OU Athletic Department inquiring about season tickets. I am put on the wait list. A few weeks later, I am contacted and get my first season tickets. The Sooners were coming off a record of 7-4, a mark they had not fallen to since 1981. Later that year I get to watch us lose to Iowa State for the first time since 1961.
  3. October 29, 1994. I witness the first home loss to Kansas State since 1970.
  4. September 28, 1996. We lose to Tulsa. Tulsa played the game with a SECOND STRING QB. It was the first time I’d seen a 99 yard TD pass. I would have rather seen us score it.
  5. October 5, 1996. For some reason, I didn’t go to this game. I think it was because I didn’t want to watch us lose to Kansas. We outgained the Jayhawks 538-368, but they blocked a FG and returned it for a TD, returned a kickoff for a score and returned a punt for a TD. We also allowed two scores after keeping the drive alive on penalties, so we lost 52-28.
  6. November 2, 1996. I watch the game in my seats. Section 36, I believe. Because of the confidence exuding from the program that year, the Sooners started selling seats in that section to all comers. I am surrounded by Husker fans. One gent in particular was wearing a robe, smoking a cigar. We lost the game 73-21, and the game was not as close as the score indicated. At the end of the season, I request a seat change, so I may sit next to Sooner fans.
  7. September 6, 1997. We beat Syracuse 36-34. Fans storm the field. That should tell you where the program was at that point. We had opened the season on national TV against Northwestern, only to be shut out 23-0. Northwestern went on to a 5-7 record that year.
  8. November 15, 1997. Texas A&M defeats us 51-7. We came back in the fourth quarter to close the gap to 51. This is the only OU game I’ve ever been to where I left at halftime. I would’ve left earlier (it was cold and rainy), but I wanted to see the Aggie bank. Had they not been there, I would’ve left in the first quarter. Good times.

Coach, I believe you will see that I have been a faithful season ticket holder since 1990, through good times and bad. Sure, many started before me, but few started when I did and stuck it out. It is my hope that you will pass over your interest in the time share to me. Maybe I can visit John Blake while I’m in North Carolina and we can talk about the old days.

Sincerely,

HeadThief

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've decided that you are a jinx. Maybe Coach will give you the timeshare in exchange for you NOT attending any more games.

HeadThief said...

How could I be a jinx? You witnessed my presence when Sooner Magic ruled in Fort Worth. It's not just skill when you throw a pick, strip the LB and recover the fumble to get the first down.