Thursday, January 17, 2008

Some Coaching Moves

The Sooners hired the Head Visor's college buddy Jay Norvell as co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach, filling the spot vacated by Kevin Sumlin's departure for the Houston Cougs HC job. This puzzles me a bit. I understand hiring the college bud a little bit, but I just don't think a resume that has the most recent stops as working for Bill Callahan and Karl Dorrell really makes me go "wow!'. I don't have any better ideas...

And neither does Mack Brown. Mack hired Major Applewhite away from Bama, naming him Assistant Head Coach and Running Backs coach. Scuttlebutt in Tuscaloosa implies Major was overmatched as OC in the SEC. That may be true, but working on Nick Saban's staff is never going to make 'Top 100 Places to work". I anticipate Chris Simms being named Associate Head Coach next week.

Kansas D Coordinator Bill Young left the Jayhawks for a similar position at the U of Miami. Tough trade, Lawrence, KS for Coral Gables. Young was the D coordinator at OU the first two years of Blake's ill fated tenure, and served at Ohio State before that. They couldn't beat the SEC then, either.

No comments: