Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ou-Texas Memories

I went to every OU-TX game but one from 1984 - 2000. Following are some of my memories:

  1. 2000 - OU comes into the game the underdog and EXPLODES against the Horns. That's the last time I've been to an OU-TX game, I don't think it can be topped. Most amusing memory of that game, Sooners are ahead 63-7 in the fourth quarter, or somesuch like that. A penalty is called against the Sooners, and an elderly gentleman in front of me yells, "C'mon, you're giving 'em the game!"
  2. 1996 - greatest W of the Desert Era. That's like saying, "Best looking bearded lady at the circus". An 0-4 Sooners team beats Texas. Gave us a false sense of hope as Sooner fans. Considering how I expected us to get drilled, I remember the relief of that W.
  3. 1984 - Great game my freshman year of college. I made the trip down as a day trip. Got a speeding ticket on the way down. I had a great view from the end zone of a blown call on a fumble. The Stanberry non-interception was on the complete opposite side of the stadium. I didn't know until the following day what had gone on with that.
  4. 1997 - phenomenal game where Demond Parker had a phenomenal game. He rushed for 291 yards. The Sooners had no passing game during the Desert Era, so the two-minute drill was to hand the ball off-tackle to Parker and pray. He scored twice in the final eight minutes, but the Sooners lost 27-24.
  5. 1997 - a grandmother behind my friends and I gets frustrated and screams, "John Blake, I'm going to come down there and kick your ***!"

Well, that's it for tonight. I'm sure you'll get more indepth analysis later on in the week.

No comments: