Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Congrats to the Phog U Jayhawks for the Big W last night. It was looking pretty bad with a couple o' minutes left, but courtesy of a some clutch 3 point shooting, and a couple of free throws, they forced OT.

I got a kick out of seeing Roy with a Jayhawk shirt on. I thought it was a classy move.

Now, we just have to see if Bill Self takes the well paid demotion to Oklahoma State. So far, I have to tip my hat to Self for how he's handled it. He has not set himself up for the "I'm never gong there". He has just said, "I recommend they go in a different direction."

In the pecking order of college hoops things, Lawrence to Stillwater would definitely be a step down. However, generally, those schools with steep traditions also have deep pockets for coaches, facilities, and dare I say it - players. With the money T Boone Pickens is throwing into Boone State, factor in that Self graduated from Boone State with significantly worse facilities, and those two things could outweigh the tradition that Kansas has.

I even read a blurb on espn.com that Self might "sell out" to Oklahoma State. If he goes, he's going back to his alma mater. No matter what the price, let's not call someone a sellout for going to work for a place he got his degree. Even if it is for big bucks.

Jiminy Christmas. In the past month I've campaigned for a K State player and defended an Oklahoma State grad.

I'm ready for football season.

No comments: