Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation...

The Headthief travelled to southern California for a week or rest and relaxation and the following are musings from the journey:

  • One of the things I do on vacation is play golf. I snuck away from Missus Thief and the little thieves on a couple of occasions to play. I take my clubs with me, and have some handy Crimson and Cream Oklahoma University headcovers on my valued metalwoods. On Wednesday, I was asked twice if the "OU" on the headcover was Oregon or Oklahoma. When I said Oklahoma, the first person (a woman) said, "I went to OU for a couple of years, and met my husband there. I grew up in Stroud." I was appalled. A "former student" that didn't recognize her own school colors. She probably flunked out and transferred to Boone State – or Oklahoma A&M as it was likely called in her day. Additionally, the Bookout family from Stroud had tons of athletic success in Norman, and she doesn't recognize it. Stroud is NOT a thriving metrolpolis, particularly back in her day. The other person, a retired doctor, asked the same question. He had a practice in the San Jose area for 30+ years, and can't tell Oregon's green and baby crap yellow color combination from the beauty of the Sooner's crimson and cream! On the other hand, considering our last few performances against teams from Southern California, I was okay with being incognito as well.
  • When traveling with family on vacation, the HeadThief travels incognito, wearing a readily discernible Bucknell cap obtained during the NCAAs in 2006 in Dallas. The bright orange cap stands out across the theme parks, per Missus Thief. Wearing a Sooner cap with pride would only allow me to blend in with the various garnet and gold caps of the Men of Troy and as well as the maroon and gold of Arizona State, both of which were well represented in Anaheim and Carlsbad, so the Bucknell cap comes in handy. Plus, no one ever asks me “Which Bucknell?”. In fact, I’ve only been asked if I attended Bucknell once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Metal woods??? Give them the correct name. Titanium woods.

Your Local Golf Pro